The School of Visual Arts and Design (SVAD) http://svad.cah.ucf.edu/ at the University of Central Florida (UCF) seeks an ambitious, skilled, and innovative 3-D technician, artist, or designer/fabricator; and invites applications for Machine Shop Manager.
This highly organized leader will engage and assist a growing number of undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in SVAD studio art and design courses and interact regularly with university personnel, industry, and community entities.
While not exhaustive, primary responsibilities for the SVAD Machine Shop Manager include: effectively regulating access to the SVAD wood shop, sculpture, ceramics, and 3-D foundations labs; demonstrating and directly supervising students’ using a broad range of traditional and emerging 3-D fabrication materials, techniques, hand-held tools, and stationary power equipment.
The successful applicant must be also able to:
Assemble, operate, and repair woodworking, metalworking, ceramics, and CAD input/output equipment; conduct correspondence, create and manage inventory, and equipment spread sheets; and be familiar with basic 3-D design principles and theories; and design, deploy, revise, and monitor new and existing student safety training modules using a web-based platform.
Correspondingly, the SVAD Machine Shop Manager will also participate in scheduling and covering flexible shifts that furnish approved students with ample supervised access to the SVAD wood shop and 3-D foundations, sculpture, and ceramics studios during and outside of scheduled classes. They will also possess the fortitude, diplomacy, and even-temperament necessary to ensure that all occupants in the aforementioned SVAD studios/shops are authorized, alert, properly trained, and comply with UCF safety standards. Affiliated duties include participating in pertinent meetings; maintaining safe and uncluttered indoor/outdoor work spaces; and performing additional duties as assigned.
The School of Visual Arts and Design (SVAD) is a diverse unit at the University of Central Florida, housed in the College of Arts and Humanities. The various tracks, degrees, and opportunities facilitate experimental and groundbreaking research while offering students the essential foundations necessary to be innovative and effective designers and artists.
SVAD serves students majoring in animation, architecture, art history, photography, graphic design and studio art. SVAD’s alumni include Fulbright scholars, resident artists, art historians and curators and are employed by Pixar, Electronic Arts, Scholastic, Universal Creative and others. Our diverse faculty has an array of specializations and are current on the latest industry standards, software and practices, because they remain current in their respective disciplines and can offer students real-world insight into their future careers.
More information about the school and our offerings is available at: www.svad.ucf.edu
- MFA in sculpture or ceramics or related graduate degree in a creative three-dimensional studio art or design fabrication discipline from an accredited institution.
- Self-motivated lifelong learner with proven commitment to workplace safety and best practices supervising multiple concurrent users operating power tools and equipment.
- Adept technician with mechanical experience assembling, operating, maintaining, and repairing a range of traditional and emerging 3D fabrication input/output equipment.
- Creative and collaborative independent thinker with outstanding written and verbal communication skills and the ability to establish priorities, follow directions, and work unsupervised.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and fluency in 3D input/output fabrication software (e.g., Auto CAD, Maya, Rhino, SketchUp, Illustrator, etc.)