At the University of Central Florida, we dream big. Founded in 1963, UCF has grown to be one of the largest universities in the nation for a very good reason: We harness the power of scale in innovative ways to transform the lives of our students and create lasting impact on the world at large.
UCF Utilities & Energy Services is seeking well qualified candidates to apply for the role of Utilities Specialist II. This position is responsible for testing, installation, calibration, maintenance, and documentation of all natural gas, potable water, reclaim/irrigation water metering to ensure accurate revenue-grade metering recovery to each utility department with over a combined total of $17+ million annually.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
Metering Equipment Repair & Installation:
- Repair or replace existing natural gas, potable, reclaim, sewer metering and associated registers/correctors/sensors.
- Manage, as the primary point of contact, all calibration and testing of natural gas, potable, reclaim and sewer metering and system components as needed. Coordinate all outages and assist contractors as needed to repair, replace lines or hardware necessary to reinstall, pressurize, test and validate natural gas, potable, reclaim and sewer metered services. Perform work in confined spaces as needed.
- Responsible for selection and sizing based on service setup application. General maintenance involving painting, priming, sanding, support installation, and securing assets. Assist co-worker with electric, chilled, and hot water meters as needed, including assistance with development, troubleshooting, setup, measurement, and programming assistance.
- Program and set all amplifiers, correctors, and other metering components to department standards for revenue grade billing. Familiarity with development and estimations of mathematical readings/conversions between Gal, KGal, and BTU, KBtu, Therms, CCF, CF and other units of gas and water measurement.
- Assist with controls setup, connections, and testing of all meters for BAS. Assist with programming and local data collection of stored load data or other diagnostics from amplifiers, correctors, or other devices.
Utility Meter Calibrations & Preventative Maintenance:
- Ongoing detailed data collection of metering and transmitter information to ensure accuracy for billing, including, but not limited to validate what areas/equipment/assets are served by meter as well as determination of meter type (Parent/Master/Submeter/Virtual).
- Review and analyze historical monthly and hourly data as required to preventatively assess and correct metering errors/failures. Assist with all phases of meter reading as needed. Assist billing as required with recheck readings, field checks, testing, evaluation to confirm accuracy or correct errors. Assist with technical work or troubleshooting of fixed network, smart grid system hardware as directed.
Review & Inspection:
- Assist project work for review of proper meter placement and application as well as reading blue prints and working closely with other departments to complete new or replacement meter work per manufacturer standards.
- Ensure all Meter Worksheets are completed accurately at the point of interconnection and/or energizing/pressurizing. Ensure all Meter Worksheets are turned in for all new or replacement meters or transmitters, sensors or other smart grid/fixed network devices.
- Review historical blue prints/historical as-builts to validate metering captures proper energy usage for buildings, individual spaces, or sites, validating that all consumption is metered accurately with no loss our double billing/metering. Validate all metering installed or replaced meets departmental standards.
- Responsible for management and ongoing development of natural gas, potable, reclaim and sewer meter Preventative Maintenance program to ensure high accuracy revenue-grade utility metering and utilize benchmarking and interval data from CIS, BAS, and OEIS to detect patterns of potential meter or site-related issues affecting measurement.
- Document, Scan, Upload, and Preserve Meter Worksheets, Inventory/GIS Based Images and information, as well as calibration sheets, test results and contractor work/results/documentation on UES Share Drive.
- Maintain stock of manuals, specification sheets, and other relevant manufacturer detail on UES Share Drive for field use and future needs. Document all work via AiM Work Order Managment System and EnergyCAP.
- All other duties as assigned
UCF offers competitive pay consummate with experience and a variety of employee benefits including health insurance, vision insurance, and dental insurance. Additionally, full-time employees may be allowed to enroll for up to six (6) credit hours of eligible instruction per term on a space-available basis.
For additional information, please reference the following link: https://hr.ucf.edu/prospective-employees/insurance.
This is a reposted position. Previous applicants are still being considered and do not need to reapply.
- Familiar with use of technical applications for business including remote desktop, Microsoft excel, FTP, and various communication terminations and technologies. Understanding of general networking.
- Management skills such as: planning, organizing, and controlling with emphasis on field work and remote access.
- Working knowledge of trades classifications and functions including tools, materials, and task specific sequencing
- Demonstrate working knowledge of all applicable Federal, State, and local safety rules and regulations, including OSHA, Dept. of Health, and the Bureau of Fire Safety.