The University of Central Florida (UCF) and the Department of Space and Atmospheric Science (SAS) at the Arecibo Observatory (AO) invites applications for the "SAS Lead" position. The successful candidate will be part of the Arecibo Observatory science team and will lead the SAS department. The selected candidate is also expected to contribute to the Education and Public Outreach (E&PO) component, supporting the integration of the Arecibo Observatory with the local and international communities, as well as within UCF. In addition to these duties, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
* Serve as the technical leader for the space and atmospheric science team.
* Mentor and train staff in the SAS group.
* Drive innovative cutting-edge science across the SAS team.
* Write proposals for new external funding.
* Work in conjunction with the AO director and the AO deputy director to develop strategies to represent the Arecibo Observatory interests in the upcoming Decadal survey.
* Work to establish regular communication with the community of users, the scientific community, and the different boards of advisors.
* Work with users to find the best ways to implement and/or improve their experiments.
* Be the SAS representative on the Arecibo time allocation and proposal evaluation committee.
* Be a vocal advocate of the Arecibo Observatory across the technical community.
* Participate in outreach activities.
* Interface with technical leads in astronomy and planetary sciences, to explore multidisciplinary collaboration.
* Develop collaborations across multiple external academic institutions and within UCF.
* Write periodical technical performance reports and track group performance metrics.
* Drive performance of the SAS team by actively increasing the number of publications, proposals, and the number of users.