The Department of Civil, Environmental, and Construction Engineering (CECE) at the University of Central Florida (UCF) has an opening for a research associate within the UCF Safe and Smart Transportation (UCF-SST) Lab, anticipated to begin in May 2021. The selected candidate for this position will be supervised by Dr. Mohamed Abdel-Aty.
Duties of the research associate include, but are not limited to:
* Supporting the CECE department chair and his 25+ research team in their IT needs.
* Assisting with keeping the direct data connection that the team has with FDOT running smoothly, with no interruptions, by checking it daily and communicating with FDOT to trouble shoot and rectify any issue.
* Developing software/hardware for multi driving simulations.
* Supporting and assisting the UCF CECE SST team's software engineer. This includes ensuring that the computers, software , data backups, websites, etc. are running smoothly and without interruptions.
* FDOT traffic database maintenance, which includes C2C/ITSIQA historical data backup to the UCF workstation, and real-time FDOT traffic sensor data collected for the research team.
* Supporting the team in data collection and archiving issues.
* Assisting in assembling driving simulators, investigating the best PCs to buy for a project, software needs, and other miscellaneous needs of the team.
* Developing multi driving simulator functions such as user car controller, environmental pedestrian controller, environmental car controller, connected vehicle algorithm, real-time driver data aggregation, network data transmission, and traffic signal/countermeasure controller.
* Developing driving simulations using the Unity software along with Mirror/UNet.
* Responsibility for the back end of a safety visualization system. This also includes the responsibility to maintain and upgrade the system. The back-end developer will be responsible for the server-side developing, database building, data aggregating/filtering, algorithm design, and software developing.